Sunday, December 2, 2012

Final thoughts on SIS-388


As an International Studies major, I thought I had become accustomed to studying seemingly insurmountable global challenges in my classes.  I've been able to study the origins of violent conflicts, analyze the behavior of states, learn about how the global economy functions, all topics of great interest to me.  However, it wasn't until I took this class that I was forced to think critically about how giant global problems will get solved.  In class exercises, where we created imaginary non-profits, and thought critically about how society could improve climate situation, exposed me to the challenges of finding ways for the planet to become more sustainable.

I also found it interesting to learn about the different points of view in literature about ways to go about solving global morning.  These views seem to be mutually exclusive, despite how distinct their authors try to make them out to be.  For example, a social green may think that social injustice is feeding the environmental crisis, but they might be in favor of an institutionalist solution which calls for "guided globalization to improve human welfare".  None of the explanations and approaches to a solution seemed wrong (mostly due to the large amount of guessing that is required in this field) which is why they should all be considered when looking for answers. 

From now on, I hope to think more about possible solutions to the issues I learn about.  Knowledge of global warming's origins are crucial to the effective governance and policy formation that could remediate its effects.  Also, despite the subject's pessimistic nature, I've learned how important it is to try and stay positive in order to not give up on the work that needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment