Thursday, November 1, 2012

Nature and us.

I wanna talk about a recent experience that I had with the non-human world, which is the most magical engagement that I had during college. Due to the fact that I live on campus, it’s not allow to keep pets in dorms. In order to have some “pets” as well as for my research purpose at first place, I purchase some bush beans seeds from whole foods and start to plant them in small pots. I used to keep some plants at home, which that already mature enough to sell on the market. This is my first time of planting from seeds. This feeling is really interesting comparing with just watering some plants that purchase from the market. I planed to use these seeds as my experiment subjects and the purpose is that to examine whether there is a relationship between plants growth rate and carbon dioxide emission.
          
            I started with soaking them in water for one night and then plant them. What is very disappointed is that most of the seeds did not sprout. So I searched online about planting technique, then I finally get about 8 out of 10 seeds sprouted. This process is like taking care of a baby. You can observe the growth of a seed, how it get sprouted, how it grow up quickly and you can observe all the changes that happened with it. I like to play a trick that changes the direction of plants that facing with the sunshine. Within hours, the plants will react with it by changing the directions. This process makes me feel something that I grow and I plant, and see it grow up. It's really exciting to watch the whole process that a rice size seed can grow up as a 10 inch tall plant in 20 days. The only thing that I did is watering the plants regularly and make sure that they get enough sunshine by put them along the window. All of the work was finished by these tiny seeds. The whole process remind me of how precious the foods that we eat are. Vegetations start with seeds and then sprout, flourished and produce foods that we need. We should not waste food especially meat products, because it requires even larger amount of energy and water and nutrients comparing with the production of vegetations.



            I think we should concern about saving nature. As this week’s reading, we put ourselves in the wrong position in nature. Nature should not be something that we want to conquer but we are part of it as well as we are a product of it. Human history is a blink of eye comparing with the history of nature, even though we made tremendous changes of nature; this did not make us anything superior than nature. It’s hard to predict what nature will do to us. Just like how things happen in the hurricane Sandy. People can tell the power of nature from how powerful and how damage it could be. We are so tiny when we facing with the force of nature. We should concern about our future in terms about how we should place ourselves in the nature. We can never beat the nature, we should be respectful to it as well as protecting it. It’s our mother and home. We should not do harmful things to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment